Tuesday, September 21, 2010

The year of "Me"

Last Friday was the first day of my last year to be considered remotely "young."  Yes, it was my 49th birthday and soon, I will have to begin using the "F" word to describe my age. (Fifty!) I'm still in denial that I can be this old (chronologically) while still mentally/emotionally immature at times.  However, instead of moping about it, I've decided to make this a life-transforming year.  Not a "last" hurrah, but a "first of many" hurrahs, so to speak.

What does that mean?  Good question.  Step one: Keep a chronicle of this year via this blog . . . and I hope you'll share my journey (and participate in it as well).  Step two: Create a list of self-improvement goals to achieve in full or at least partially this year.  Step three:  Accomplish all the above without losing my mind, signature sarcastic wit or sense of humor.

So thank you for indulging me on my quest to rediscover/redifine myself. Being the social creature I am, I hate doing things by myself.  So I hope many of my buddies who are on the same mailing list for AARP will join with me.  We'll have fun and hopefully not break any hips in the process.  Thanks

2 comments:

  1. Have you gotten e-mail spam for Mobility Scooters yet?? That's a sobering moment. How the hell did we make our way to THAT demographic???? I only really feel old when I see pictures of how we dressed and tortured our hair in college. (and thank god my taste in men has changed)

    I find that acting immaturely on a regular basis really helps. As do overpriced skin treatments and dating seriously younger men.

    So maybe the younger men thing won't work for you. But maybe we can indulge in some overpriced skin treatments in Key West!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm ready to join you on this journey in anticipation of turning 49 forever in 2013. And let me know when you're going to Key West, I"ve got some great restaurants recommendations.

    ReplyDelete