Friday, April 1, 2011

Lessons Learned From Drag Queens

Explorers have searched the world over for centuries for the elusive "fountain of youth," but to no avail.   You know what -- I think I found it.  But it's not a physical object or location.  Rather it's a state of mind. . .and it comes out when you're with good friends.

Recently, I've had the good fortune of feeling half my age . . .and I attribute it entirely to the company of dear friends.

For one marvelous week in February, I regressed to the behaviour of my younger days with six of my bestest college buddies, while soaking in the sun, sand and shots -- jello to be exact -- of Key West.  To tell you the truth, I was worried about how things would work out since I hadn't seen three of them for nearly 30 years.  Would we all still get along? Did they "mature" into adults and look down upon the fact that I hadn't (or have tried not to)?  Well, I'm glad to report that the second we all saw each other again, it was as if no time had passed and we were still the Sigma Nu A sisters of Briscoe 8A.

The last night of our vacation, we went to a drag show at Oasis on DuVal Street. (I highly recommend it.)  And as was watching those talented gentlemen in amazement, I've come to realize that the drag queens can teach us all a few good lessons.

-- Be true to yourself, life's too short be wearing the wrong clothes.
-- Appreciate the little things for they can create beauty in our lives. Who knew a woven place mat could transform you into an African princess.
-- Youth is wasted on the young . . .but it's till fun to pretend that it hasn't already passed us by.   
-- The right makeup can make us all look like a Hollywood star . . . for a night.
-- Keep a good sense of humor, and everything will be a hell of a lot easier to swallow. (That was for Inga!)

No comments:

Post a Comment